I want to send a special "Thanks" to Mike Willison of Rex Hill who suggested I be invited as press to this event. What a special warm and fuzzy! Thanks Mike, you ROCK!
After watching the special about the Oregon Winemakers, I found a new passion of my own for the Pinot Noir grape. I love how everyone of the Pinot's taste different. Aside from some usual characteristics, there are a few new ones I picked up last night like "Wet River Rock, thanks for that one Alex", now I know what wet river rock smells like. But, like they pointed out in the movie, every winemaker could make their Pinot's exactly the same way and they would all taste different.
Anyhow, onto the event. I love that there were people already there at 5:05pm. I am an on time person and hate being late. I am excited others are like me, but hey, we are talking about wine, so being late is not an option!
The music was great, the venue was very good, there were about 250 people and a couple of times the heat level rose quite high. Thankful for the doors that they opened to cool things off! All that alcohol and heat, who knows what would have happened!
I love people watching, so according to what I was seeing, everyone was having a great time. Here is one thing I have recognized with the people pouring the wines. Which when you pay attention is amazing just by itself. Not saying that others don't do this, but you can really pick it out.
As I walked to each wine, every person pouring the wine was absolutely IN LOVE with their wine. You could see the passion and love as they would talk about the vineyard, the winemaker, the families that own the winery and everything about the wine. That was the only thing that was hard about this event, was that the room was a little loud so if you wanted to hear the story you had to get in really close. This is why I will be visiting each of their wineries.. You know, getting that personal attention that I love.
I want to give a shout out to everyone that was pouring wines. Everyone did a fantastic job!
- Adelsheim Vineyard - Matt and Dave were pouring their 2011 Boulder Bluff Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Alexana - Mark was pouring their 2011 Revana Vineyard Estate Pinot Noir
- Archery Summit - Felicia was pouring their 2012 Premier Cuvee Pinot Noir
- Cooper Mountain Vineyards - Kat was pouring their 2010 Mountain Terroir Pinot Noir
- Elk Cove Vineyards - Kari was pouring their 2012 Mount Richmond Pinot Noir
- Montinore Estate - Edward was pouring their 2010 Graham's Block 7 Pinot Noir
- Ponzi Vineyards - Jeff was pouring their 2011 Ponzi Pinot Noir
- REX HILL - Rachel, Wendy, and Samantha were pouring their 2011 Rex Hill Reserve Pinot Noir - not yet released
- Sokol Blosser Winery - Alex was pouring their 2010 Estate Cuvee Pinot Noir
- Soléna Estate - Jessica was pouring their 2011 Domaine Danielle Laurent Pinot Noir
- Van Duzer Vineyards - Justin was pouring their 2011 Estate Pinot Noir
- White Rose Estate - Katy was pouring their 2011 The New-Classical Objective Pinot Noir
- WillaKenzie Estate - Sherry and Darlyne were pouring their 2011 Pierre Leon Pinot Noir
- Willamette Valley Vineyards - Kaylee and Andrew were pouring their 2010 Elton Pinot Noir
If you attended and we missed each other, please leave a comment and let me know what you thought!
Below is a shot of each Pinot Noir poured.